Friday, November 18, 2005

Forgent JPEG Compression Patent under Challenge

I was perusing Slashdot, one of my favourite tech information and news sites when this bit of news posted by CowboyNeal caught my eye: "ChocLinux writes "The Public Patent Foundation has filed a request at the US Patent Office to revoke Compression Labs' data compression patent, which it is reportedly using to harrass anyone that implements the JPEG format. 'CLI's aggressive assertion of the '672 patent is causing substantial public harm by threatening this international standard on which the public relies,' says Pubpat in its filing." I'm pleased by this development as I see Forgent and their ilk as prime examples of this kind of practice at its worst... Roll on the public's interest... View the article and associated comments here.

No comments: